We're seeking chefs for the first-ever hoe cake throw down & bourbon bash!
Join Blue Collards and the Swing Shift crew this May in celebrating that most quintessential of Southern foods — cornbread — and its liquid cousin: Bourbon. We’ll be throwing down in the beautiful, colonial-era seaport of Pensacola, Florida, and donating a portion of proceeds to Chain Reaction, a Florida nonprofit focused on youth leadership development. Participation opportunities are outlined below. For full details on programming, please visit our main event page.
Please Note: All partner applications due by April 22.
We’re seeking approximately a dozen chefs to participate in the hoecake competition at our main event on May 4 at De Luna Winery.
- Each chef will be asked to plan one hoe-cake based dish for the competition. Participants should expect to prepare 300-500 servings over the course of a four hour event.
- Chefs will be responsible for sourcing all ingredients, other than cornmeal, which will be provided by our partners at Delta Grind.
- This is a tasting-style event, so we encourage chefs to think small (i.e. silver dollar sized hoecakes, not pan-sized monstrosities.) Beyond the requirement that chefs build their dishes around a hoecake and use the provided product, we welcome creativity.
- We ask that chefs bring their own cooking setup and whatever additional equipment (i.e. tongs, pans, etc.) they require. Our partners at the Field Company will be providing each chef with a complementary cast-iron skillet, though you are not obligated to use it during the course of the event.
- At least one member from each chef’s’ team will be required to attend a mandatory orientation session prior to the event, details TBA
- Stone-ground cornmeal
- Up to $500 food cost reimbursement for each chef, with receipts submitted on deadline
- One 30” by 96” presentation table and one 30” by 96” prep table
- Linens, presentation vessels, plateware, utensils, recycling bins & trash receptacles
- Two event credentials — for the featured chef & assistant working your table — and two complimentary general admission tickets
- Custom signage for each station listing the name of the chef, restaurant & location.
- A complementary cast-iron skillet from our partners at The Field Company
Be notified of future opportunities
Want to know when new opportunities are announced? Sign up for our Swing Shift newsletter, and you’ll be the first to know when we’re cooking up new events.